Home Page VISA AND RESIDENCE PERMIT For British Nationals

There are different cases :


  • Researcher already in France or arriving before December 31, 2020

Researchers already present in France or arriving before December 31, 2020 must apply as soon as possible for a residence permit marked “Withdrawal Agreement” before July 1, 2021.

The application can be made online

In this case, it is necessary to take these steps in order to continue to benefit from social rights (right to health insurance, right to the “Allocation d’Aide au Retour à l’Emploi” and other social benefits). Moreover, as of October 1st 2021, obtaining a residence permit will be mandatory for British researchers.

Please note that for PhD students under doctoral contracts, CIFRE and researchers in post, a hosting agreement is required.

  • Researchers arriving after 31/12/2020

These researchers are subject to the common law for foreigners in France. They must apply for a “student” or “talent passport” residence permit bearing the word “researcher” at the Prefectures and Sub-Prefectures of their place of residence.

  • For researchers participating in a project supported by Horizon 2020

Nothing changes until the end of the project.