Having a residence permit is not mandatory in France for Europeans (European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Swiss Confederation).


However, if the researcher is an EU, EEA or Swiss national or a family member of an EU, EEA or Swiss national, he or she can apply for a European residence permit. This will facilitate the administrative procedures (opening a bank account, renting an apartment, etc.).


For this, it is recommended to contact the prefecture or sub-prefecture of the place of residence: