Arrival in France must be prepared well in advance and the choice of visa to apply for is part of the steps to be taken. The important thing is to do this well in advance, at least three months before your arrival.

There are two types of visas to apply for as a doctoral student or researcher. There is the VLS TS, which must be validated once you arrive in France by the ANEF. This visa is equivalent to a residence permit and must be renewed two months before its expiration. The beneficiary must contact the foreign services of the prefecture and sub-prefecture of his/her place of residence to apply for the VLS.

More information on visas

The choice of visa is crucial because it is the basis for the researcher’s rights once on the national territory. In case of doubt, do not hesitate to contact your CSE to guide you in your choice of visa/residence permit.